Customers in the U.S. can pay for online orders with a valid EBT card, in full or in part, from participating stores in select states. For a full list of states, check out our SNAP via EBT card article.
If you don’t see EBT SNAP as an option for your local participating store, make sure you have the latest version of the Instacart app. If you still can’t see EBT SNAP, check back often as we continue to expand to more stores.
To checkout, visit your cart and tap or click the green Checkout button. You’ll be asked to add a delivery address and your payment information—
- Enter your credit or debit card information and address
- Add your EBT card information
- Click or tap Edit to change the amount that will apply to your EBT card
- Click or tap Confirm payment method
- On the Place Order page, confirm all information is correct
- Click or tap Place Order
- After placing your order, you will be prompted to enter your EBT card pin to verify your purchase
You’ll notice there is a payment breakdown on the Place Order page. You’ll see what will be charged to your EBT card and what will be charged to your credit or debit card.
Note: All delivery and service fees, bottle deposit fees in some states, taxes, tips, and any items that are not EBT SNAP-eligible will be charged to your credit or debit card.
When reviewing your payment methods and EBT card at checkout, you’ll notice a by-weight items message under EBT card.
When purchasing an item by weight, such as meat or produce, your shopper may need to make adjustments to the weight causing the item to be slightly heavier due to in-store availability.
When this happens, you can choose how you will be charged for this weight adjustment—
- Charge the extra cost of weighted items to your credit or debit card
- Cancel the item and receive a refund
Note: You can change your selected option at any time in your account.
EBT SNAP refunds and returns
To request a refund for EBT SNAP-eligible items or if you’d like to return an item purchased with an EBT card, pleasecontact Instacart Careinstead of the retailer.
Only Instacart can process a refund for EBT SNAP online purchases, not the retailer. Instacart typically processes refunds for EBT SNAP-eligible items within the same day to your EBT card.